While yoga is specifically known for promoting health and peace of mind, it also helps in losing weight. Here, we have listed some easy-to-follow yoga poses (asanas) that can be easily performed at home by beginners to achieve a toned body.
Is Yoga Good for Weight Loss and Toning for Beginners
Regularly practicing yoga can facilitate weight loss, though not in the same way as we link physical exercise with fat burn. You will lose weight only when your daily calorie intake is less than the energy you expend all day.
Also, some people are pushed toward overeating when they feel stressed, and yoga can help combat stress, thus reducing the motivation to binge eat. Since yoga is not considered a high-intensity exercise, your daily activity program might involve practicing yoga for 60-90 minutes, 4-5 times a week, so that you can boost your metabolism.
8 Yoga Poses for Weight Loss for Beginners
Hot Yoga for Weight Loss
Hot yoga, a yoga style founded by the fitness expert Bikram Choudhury, usually involves doing 26 poses at a temperature of 40.6°C and humidity of 40 percent for one-and-a-half hours. Although it might seem intimidating for those who are new, hot yoga poses can be customized to a beginner’s fitness level. Since it makes you sweat profusely, repeated yoga sessions involving the following yoga poses will help in making your body lean and decreasing weight.
1. Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
- Standing upright with your feet at shoulder width, move your arms forward and keep your palms facing each other.
- Assume that you are in a seating position on a chair by bending your knees and pushing your pelvis down. Avoid bending your knees beyond the feet.
- Hold this position for 30-60 seconds before returning to the starting position.
- Stretches your chest, spine, and hips, and helps tone your thighs, knees, and ankles.
- Assists in balancing your body and reducing fat in your buttocks.
2. Half Spinal Twist Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
- Keeping your back straight, sit down with the legs stretched and your feet together.
- Bend the left leg and keep it close to your outer right hip and then bend the right leg over your left leg to keep it close to your left knee.
- Rotate your torso towards your right. Keep the left hand on your right knee and the other hand behind the back.
- Hold this pose for 30-60 seconds before returning to the starting position.
- Tones your back by stretching and compressing the muscles.
- Increases your oxygen intake and improves digestion.
3. Plow Pose (Halasana)
- Lie on your back with your toes and feet kept together, and your arms placed on either side.
- Lift your legs, buttocks, upper and lower abdomen off the ground, keeping them perpendicular to the floor.
- Extend your legs over the head, and gently place them down so that your toes touch the floor while the chest makes contact with your chin.
- Hold this position for 30-60 seconds.
- Helps regulate metabolism and improves the functioning of thyroid gland.
- Tones your back and shoulder muscles by giving them a good stretch.
- Assists in lessening backaches, headaches, and insomnia.
4. Downward Facing Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Standing with your hands and knees on the ground, raise your hips by straightening your knees and elbows.
- Push yourself forward using your palms and then straighten your neck so that you look towards your navel and your ears touch the inner arms.
- Hold this position for 1-2 minutes and then relax.
- Improves digestion and strengthens your abs.
- Helps improve blood circulation and keeps your arms and legs in shape.
Morning Yoga for Weight Loss
Doing yoga in the morning is a wonderful way of getting your blood circulating and focusing your energy. The poses described here will not just help in burning fat but will also strengthen your body and set up for a healthy, positive day.
1. Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- Lie flat on your stomach so that your forehead rests on the floor and the legs kept close together.
- Keep your elbows close to the torso and parallel to the floor while placing the palms of your hands at the sides under the shoulders.
- After a deep breath, raise your chest, head, and abdomen while your body rests on the palms.
- Make an arch by pulling your torso back and supporting your body weight on your hands.
- Return to the normal position and relax.
- Strengthens your core and tones your back, neck, and abs.
- Stretches the chest and helps stimulate the lungs.
2. Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar)
- Stand upright on an exercise mat with your feet placed together and bring the palms of your hands in the prayer position.
- Continue raising your arms up and bending them towards the back until your biceps are close to your ears.
- While breathing out, bend your body at the waist to a forward position and keep the spine vertically down, with your hands on the ground.
- Bend the right knee, push the left leg back, and look up.
- Breathe out, and raise your hips and the base of your spine up.
- Lower your knees, lift your abdomen and hip, and make sure your feet, knees, palms, head, and chest touch the ground.
- Slide into a Cobra Pose, keeping the elbows bent.
- Raise your hips and the base of your spine up. Your chest should be facing downward, forming an inverted-V shape.
- Bend the left knee, push the right leg back, and look up.
- Bend at the waist to a forward position, keeping the spine vertically down and your hands on the ground.
- Inhale and follow the second step.
- Exhale and straighten your body to follow the first step.
- Helps you to lose weight quickly because it is estimated that you can burn 417 calories by practicing this yoga pose for 30 minutes each day.
- Aids in improving memory and reducing stress.
Power Yoga for Weight Loss
Power yoga, a vigorous form of rejuvenating exercises, includes some cardiovascular workouts that help you in shedding extra pounds. These poses assist in strengthening and toning your shoulder, core, and thigh muscles. While most of the power yoga poses are favored by those who are experienced, the following poses are simple enough for beginners.
1. Downward Dog to Plank Variation
- Lift your hips and abdomen and then lower your body with your face looking in the downward direction.
- Develops your core strength by tightening your abdominal muscles.
2. Monkey Twist Pose (Markatasana)
- Lie down straight and then spread both the hands at the shoulder level.
- With both your legs folded, turn your knees to the left side and your neck to the right side.
- Repeat the steps from the other side.
- Increases flexibility of backbone.
- Good for those suffering from stomach disorders like constipation.
- Reduces belly fat.
Make sure that you consult your doctor before going through these asanas. These yoga moves are all about challenging your body and mind thereby burning more calories, and losing more weight.